Yinliang (Ricky) Tan (音量 in Chinese) is an Assistant Professor in the A.B. Freeman School of Business at the Tulane University. He received his Ph.D. in Operations Management from the University of Florida. He has rich teaching experience in operations management and business analytics at both undergraduate and graduate levels. Ricky has received several teaching recognitions including Dean's Excellence for Graduate Teaching Award at Tulane University. His research interests include the management of technology, digital goods pricing, business analytics, and supply chain management. His work has been accepted for publication in journals including Management Science, MIS Quarterly, Information Systems Research, Production and Operations Management, Decision Sciences and other premier academic journals. Currently, he is a Senior Editor at the Production and Operations Management and Associate Editor at the Decision Science Journal. He is recognized as one of the 40 Most Outstanding Business Professors Under 40 worldwide by Poets & Quants. He has also received the Carol J. Latta Emerging Leadership Award for Outstanding Early Career Scholars by Decision Science Institute.
- Professor Tan developed Business Analytics courses for the Master of Business Analytics and MBA programs. He has rich teaching experience in the business analytics area including data visualization, unsupervised learning, and supervised learning. He strives to engage students in experiential learning that takes them from basic levels of understanding to professional mastery of concepts, and he often keeps in touch with students as they begin their careers. Below is a list of the courses that he is currently teaching and taught at Tulane University,
- MGSC 3010 Introduction to Business Analytics
- MGSC 7000 Business Analytics Practicum
- MGSC 7310 Modeling and Analytics
- MGSC 7320 Advanced Spreadsheet Modeling
- MGSC 7510 Business Analytics Project I
Professor Tan's research has frequently appeared in top academic journals. His work has been awarded Best Problem-Driven Analytical Research Paper of 2017 Decision Science Institute Annual Conference, and he is the recipient of 2016 and 2018 Irving H. LaValle Research Award of Freeman School of Business.
Professor Tan has rich teaching experience in business analytics at all levels. He received numerous teaching awards including the Dean's Excellence of Graduate Teaching at Freeman School of Business, and Honorable Mention of Instructional Innovation Award Competition from Decision Sciences Institute.
Having grown up and attended school in Shanghai, China, Professor Tan brings a global outlook to his work at Freeman. His strong global awareness helps students apply lessons within an international context and to develop international content and perspective within his courses.
Education & Affiliations
- Ph.D. in Operations Management and Information Systems, 2015, University of Florida
- M.S. in Industrial Engineering, 2010, University of Florida
- B.E. in Logistics Engineering (Summa Cum Laude), 2009, Tongji University
Collecting historical manuscripts.
Visiting museums and auction houses around the world.
Watching Florida Gators Football on every Saturday in the Fall.