Han Jiang's research focuses on social network and interorganizational relationships (e.g., managerial networks, board interlocks, alliances, mergers and acquisitions, etc.), corporate governance and strategic leadership, and entrepreneurship. In particular, he is interested in the decisions and actions of business elites in adverse situations (e.g., scandals, organizational decline, political shocks, etc.). His work has appeared in Academy of Management Journal, Strategic Management Journal, Production and Operations Management, Journal of Management, Entrepreneurship: Theory and Practice, among other academic outlets. Han currently serves as senior editor of Asia Pacific Journal of Management, and on the editorial review board of Strategic Management Journal and Management and Organization Review. Han is also an incumbent member of IACMR Macro Research committee. Han teaches strategic management in the undergraduate program. Before joining Freeman, Han served on the faculty at University of Arizona for four years. Han received his doctorate degree in business administration from Arizona State University and a master's degree in business management from Tsinghua University in Beijing. Prior to embarking on his scholarly career, Han worked as a management consultant, delivering projects for clients across multiple industries.
- (* equal authorship)
- Ding, H.*, Hu, Y.*, Jiang, H.*, Wu, J.*, & Zhang, Y.* 2023. Social Embeddedness and Supply Chains: Doing Business with Friends vs. Making Friends in Business. Production and Operations Management, forthcoming
- Jiang, H.*, Xia, J.*, Luo, Y*, Hitt, M.*, & Shen, J.* 2023. Resource Dependence Theory in International Business: Progress and Prospects. Global Strategy Journal, 13(1): 3-57.
- Jiang, H., Jia, N., Bruton, G., & Bai, T. 2021. Cleaning House before Hosting New Guests: A Political Path Dependence Model of Political Connection Adaptation in the Aftermath of Anticorruption Shocks. Strategic Management Journal, 42(10): 1793-1821.
- Jiang, H., Xia, J., Devers, C., & Shen, W. 2021. Who Will Board a Sinking Ship? A Firm-Director Interdependence Perspective of Mutual Selection between Declining Firms and Director Candidates. Academy of Management Journal, 64(3): 901-925.
- Jiang, H.*, Wang, Z.*, Yang, L.*, Shen, J., & Hahn, J., 2021. How rewarding are your rewards? A value-based view of crowdfunding rewards and crowdfunding performance. Entrepreneurship: Theory & Practice, 45(3): 562-599
- Zhang, J.*, Jiang, H.*, Wu, R., & Li, J. 2019. Reconciling the Dilemma of Knowledge Sharing: A Network Pluralism Perspective of Firms. Journal of Management, 45(7): 2635-2665
- Schilke, O. & Jiang, H. 2019. Embeddedness across Governance Modes: Is There a Link between Pre-Merger Alliances and Divestitures? Academy of Management Discoveries, 5(2): 137-151.
- Jiang, H., Cannella, A.A., Xia, J., & Xiao, T. 2018. Do Ongoing Networks Block out New Friends? Reconciling the Dilemma between Resource Dependence and Network Embeddedness. Strategic Management Journal, 39(1): 217-241.
- Jiang, H., Cannella, A.A., & Jiao, J. 2018. Does Desperation Breed Deception? A Behavioral Model of Venture Opportunism. Entrepreneurship: Theory and Practice, 42(5): 769-796.
- Jiang, H., Xia, J., Cannella, A.A, & Semadeni, M. 2017. Choose to Fight or Choose to Flee: A Social Embeddedness Perspective of Executive Ship Jumping in Declining Firms. Strategic Management Journal, 38(10): 2061-2079.
- Xia, J., Dawley, D., Jiang, H., Ma, R., & Boal, K. 2016. Resolving a Dilemma of Signaling Bankrupt-Firm Emergence: A Dynamic Integrative View. Strategic Management Journal, 37(8): 1754-1764.
- Carpenter, M.A.*, Li, M.*, & Jiang, H.* 2012. Social Network Research in Organizational Contexts: A Systematic Review of Methodological Issues and Choices. Journal of Management, 38(4): 1328-1361
Education & Affiliations
Ph.D 2014 Arizona State University
Asia Pacific Journal of Management
Editorial board service:
Strategic Management Journal
Management and Organization Review
IACMR Macro Research Committee member