Professor Verhaal's research focuses on growth and competitive dynamics of small, entrepreneurial firms. Specifically, he is interested in how organizations in craft-based industries (i.e., organic foods, craft beer, handmade products) manage growth, particularly when it undermines their identity or reputation as authentic, small scale, and traditional producers.
His research is forthcoming or has been published in Administrative Science Quarterly, Strategic Management Journal, Organization Science, Journal of Management, Research Policy, Organization Studies, and Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science.
- Khessina, O., Reis, S., and Verhaal, J,.C. (2021). Stepping out of the Shadows: Identity Exposure as a Remedy for Stigma Transfer Concerns in the Medical Marijuana Market. Administrative Science Quarterly (In Press).
- Verhaal, J.C. and Dobrev, S. (2021). The Authenticity Paradox: Why Returns to Authenticity on Audience Appeal Decrease in Popularity and Iconicity. Journal of Management (In Press).
- Gopinath, S., Hoskins, J., Verhaal, J.C., and Yazdani, E. (2021). The Influence of Online Community, Professional Critics and Location Similarity on Review Ratings for Niche and Mainstream Brands. JAMS (In Press)
- Pozner, J.E., DeSoucey, M., Verhaal, J.C., and Sikavica, K. (2021) Watered Down: Market Growth, Authenticity, and Evaluation in Craft Beer. Organization Studies (In Press).
- Barlow, M., Verhaal, J.C., and Angus, R. (2019). Optimal Distinctiveness, Strategic Categorization, and product Market Entry in the Google Play App Platform. Strategic Management Journal, 40(8), 1219-1242.
- Barlow, M., Verhaal, J.C., and Hoskins, J. (2018). Guilty By Association: Product Level Category Stigma and Audience Expectations in the U.S. Craft Beer Industry. Journal of Management, 44(7), 2934-2960
- Verhaal, J.C., Hoskins, J., and Lundmark, L. (2017). Little Fish in a Big Pond: Legitimacy Transfer, Authenticity, and Factors of Peripheral Competition in the Market Center. Strategic Management Journal, 38(12), 2532-2552.
- Verhaal, J.C., Khessina, O., and Dobrev, S. (2015). Oppositional Product Names, Organizational Identity, and Product Appeal. Organization Science 26(5), 1466-1484.
Education & Affiliations
- Ph.D., University of Utah, 2014
- MBA, University of Arizona, 2007
- M.A., Georgetown University, 2003
- B.A., University of Colorado, 1999