My research generally covers innovation, strategy, and entrepreneurship. Specifically, my research is focused on two interrelated themes: 1. Knowledge and innovation in various types of organizations; 2. Innovation and patenting in China. In general, I study the intersection between strategy and innovation at different levels (firm, project, individual, and patent). I use econometric methods combined with computational techniques to study the antecedents, processes, and implications of organizations' strategic decisions by drawing from theories of knowledge and innovation.
Keywords: Knowledge and Innovation, Digitization, Data-Driven Management, Strategic Management
- He, Z. L., Tong, T. W., Zhang, Y., & He, W. (2018). Constructing a Chinese patent database of listed firms in China: Descriptions, lessons, and insights. Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, 27(3), 579-606.
- He, Z. L., Tong, T. W., Zhang, Y., & He, W. (2018). A database linking Chinese patents to China's census firms. Scientific data, 5, 180042.
- Tong, T. W., Zhang, K., He, Z. L., & Zhang, Y. (2018). What determines the duration of patent examination in China? An outcome-specific duration analysis of invention patent applications at SIPO. Research Policy, 47(3), 583-591.
- Zhang, Y., Li, J., & Tong, T. W. (2020). Platform governance matters: How platform gatekeeping affects knowledge sharing among complementors. Strategic Management Journal. (in press)
- Zhang, Y., & Tong, T. W. (2020). How vertical integration affects firm innovation: Quasi-experimental evidence. Organization Science. (in press)
- Zhong, W., Ma, Z., Tong, T. W., Zhang, Y., & Xie, L. (2020). Customer Concentration, Executive Attention, and Firm Search Behavior. Academy of Management Journal. (in press)
Education & Affiliations
- B.S. Huazhong University of Science & Technology
- M.S. Penn State University
- Ph.D. University of Colorado Boulder