My research generally covers innovation, strategy, and entrepreneurship. Specifically, my research is focused on two interrelated themes: 1. Knowledge and innovation in various types of organizations; 2. Innovation and patenting in China. In general, I study the intersection between strategy and innovation at different levels (firm, project, individual, and patent). I use econometric methods combined with computational techniques to study the antecedents, processes, and implications of organizations' strategic decisions by drawing from theories of knowledge and innovation.
Keywords: Knowledge and Innovation, Digitization, Data-Driven Management, Strategic Management
- Zhang, Y., and W. Yang. (Forthcoming) Breakthrough Invention and Problem Complexity: Evidence from a Quasi-Experiment. Strategic Management Journal.
- Zhang, Y., J. Li, and T. Tong. (2022) How Platform Gatekeeping Affects Knowledge Sharing among Complementors. Strategic Management Journal, 43(3), 599-626.
- Zhang, Y., and T. Tong. (2021) Vertical integration and rm innovation: Quasi-experimental evidence. Organization Science, 32(2), 455-479
- Zhong, W., Z. Ma, T. Tong, Y. Zhang, and L. Xie. (2021) Customer Concentration, Executive Attention, and Firm Search Behavior. Academy of Management Journal, 64(5), 1625-1647.
- He, Z. L., Tong, T. W., Zhang, Y., & He, W. (2018). Constructing a Chinese patent database of listed firms in China: Descriptions, lessons, and insights. Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, 27(3), 579-606.
- He, Z. L., Tong, T. W., Zhang, Y., & He, W. (2018). A database linking Chinese patents to China's census firms. Scientific data, 5, 180042.
- Tong, T. W., Zhang, K., He, Z. L., & Zhang, Y. (2018). What determines the duration of patent examination in China? An outcome-specific duration analysis of invention patent applications at SIPO. Research Policy, 47(3), 583-591.
Education & Affiliations
B.S. Huazhong University of Science & Technology
M.S. Penn State University
Ph.D. University of Colorado Boulder