Musa Caglar is a Visiting Assistant Professor in the A.B. Freeman School of Business at the Tulane University since January 2018. He teaches business analytics and intelligence courses in the Freeman School of Business.
He has ten years of non-academic professional experience in business analytics and evidence-based decision making. He completed his PhD. while he was working rigorously at The National Science Foundation equivalent of Turkey.
Conducting research and contributing to the literature of operations research and analytics are important to him. His research interests include application of optimization, simulation and machine learning algorithms to the practical analytics problems in public sector organizations, healthcare and finance. His research has been published in academic journals such as OR Spectrum and Socio-Economic Planning Sciences.
His recent ongoing collaborative research focuses on healthcare analytics. He and his colleagues apply machine learning and optimization algorithms on real data sets to assist decision making in health policy and medical practice.
He earned his MS and PhD in Industrial Engineering (Operations Research and Management Science) at top-notch METU, Ankara, Turkey. He received his bachelor’s degree in Industrial Engineering (Operations & Supply Chain Management/Information Systems) from top-notch School of Management at ITU, Istanbul, Turkey.
- MGSC 3010 Intro to Business Analytics (Undergraduate Core Course)
- MGSC 7100 SQL Data Fundamentals and Business Intelligence (Graduate Core Course, Masters in Business Analytics program)
Dr. Caglar brings his international perspective to his work at Freeman. He was a project partner in an international project on behalf of Turkey at European Union. He was a member of several OECD working groups: National Experts on Science and Technology Indicators, and Committee for Science and Technology Policy. He represented Turkey in high-level meetings at NSF, NIH, DOE, and IBM Watson.
Practical Skills and Experience
Dr. Caglar knows programming languages Python, R, SQL, C/C++, and VBA and he is also skilled with IBM Cplex, Anaconda, Jupyter Notebooks, SPSS Modeler, Excel, Git, and LaTeX. Students benefit from the perspective that comes from his ten years of professional experience.
Recent Ongoing Research
Dr. Caglar`s recent ongoing research focuses on healthcare analytics. He and his colleagues apply machine learning and optimization algorithms on real data sets to assist decision making in health policy and medical practice.
- Çağlar M., Gürel S., Impact assessment based sectoral balancing in public R&D project portfolio selection, Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Volume 66, pp 68-81, 2019.
- Çağlar M., Gürel S., Public R&D project portfolio selection problem with cancellations, OR Spectrum, Volume 39, Issue 3, pp 659 - 687, 2017.
- Çağlar M., Gürel S., Public R&D Project Portfolio Selection Under Expenditure Uncertainty and Policy Constraints (Under Review)
- Dolatsara, H.A., Caglar, M., Kibis, E., Dag, A., Predicting Bitcoin Price Trend Through Other Markets Data (under review)
- Yucel A., Dolatsara, H.A., Dag, A., George, B., Caglar, M., Predicting Hotel Reviews From Sentiment: A Multinomial Classification Framework (under review)
- A Hybrid Elastic Net Incorporated Bayesian Belief Network Approach to Rectum Cancer Patient Survival (With Ali Dag, Abdullah Asilkalkan, Osman Aydas, Serhat Simsek) (in preparation for Production and Operations Management)
- A Compartmental Model to Analyze COVID-19 Spread: Policies and Strategies to Control the Pandemic (With Ali Dag, Eyup Kibis, Serhat Simsek) (in preparation for Production and Operations Management)
Musa has a very good memory. One of the students asked if he knew all the names of the students. He said: "I think I know all the names. I have four sections and 129 students at this semester". He called the names of all students in a minute. All of the students were amazed and clapped all together. Several students were loudly saying the words like "the best professor I have ever had...". He received similar reactions from his other sections, which motivated him greatly.
Education & Affiliations
- Ph.D. in IE (Operations Research and Management Science) at METU, 2016
- M.S. in IE (Operations Research and Management Science) at METU, 2009
- B.S. in IE (Operations & Supply Chain Management/Information Systems) at Istanbul Technical University, 2005
- INFORMS - Institute for Operations Research and Management Science- Analytics Society and Data Mining Section
- DSI-Decision Science Institute
Swimming with his son regularly
Likes playing tennis
Likes walking and running regularly