Musa Caglar is a Professor of Practice in Business Analytics and Management Science at the A. B. Freeman School, Tulane University. He has been serving on the faculty since January 2018. He teaches business analytics, business intelligence and web analytics courses at the A.B. Freeman School of Business.
He has ten years of non-academic professional experience in business analytics and evidence-based decision making. He completed his PhD. while he was working rigorously at The National Science Foundation equivalent of Turkey.
Conducting research and contributing to the literature of operations research and analytics are important to him. His research interests include application of optimization, simulation and machine learning algorithms to the practical analytics problems in public sector organizations, healthcare and finance. His research has been published in academic journals such as such as OR Spectrum, Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, among others.
His recent ongoing collaborative research focuses on healthcare analytics. He and his colleagues apply machine learning and optimization algorithms on real data sets to assist decision making in public health policy and medical practice.
He earned his MS and PhD in Industrial Engineering (Operations Research and Management Science) at top-notch METU, Ankara, Turkey. He received his bachelor`s degree in Industrial Engineering (Operations & Supply Chain Management/Information Systems) from top-notch School of Management at ITU, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Undergraduate Core Course
- MGSC 3010 Intro to Business Analytics
- Graduate Core Courses at Masters in Business Analytics program
- MGSC 7100 SQL Data Fundamentals and Business Intelligence
- MGSC 7340 Web Analytics
Dr. Caglar brings his international perspective to his work at Freeman. He was a project partner in an international project at European Union. He was a member of several OECD working groups: National Experts on Science and Technology Indicators, and Committee for Science and Technology Policy. He represented his home country in high-level meetings at NSF, NIH, DOE, and IBM Watson Research Center.
Practical Skills and Experience
Dr. Caglar has experience in programming languages and tools such as Python, SQL, VBA, C/C++ and he is also skilled with IBM CPLEX, Anaconda, Jupyter Notebooks, Google Colab, SPSS Modeler, Advanced Excel, and LaTeX. Students benefit from the perspective that comes from his ten years of non-academic professional experience.
Recent Ongoing Research
Dr. Caglar`s recent ongoing research focuses on healthcare analytics. He and his colleagues apply machine learning and optimization algorithms on real data sets to assist decision making in health policy and medical practice.
- A Compartmental Model to Analyze COVID-19 Spread: Policies and Strategies to Control the Pandemic (With Ali Dag, Eyup Kibis, Serhat Simsek) (Work-In-Process)
- Dolatsara, H.A., Caglar, M., Kibis, E., Dag, A., Predicting Bitcoin Price Trend Through Other Markets Data (Under Review)
- Caglar M., Gurel S., Public R&D Project Portfolio Selection Under Expenditure Uncertainty and Policy Constraints (Under Review)
- A Hybrid Elastic Net Incorporated Bayesian Belief Network Approach to Rectum Cancer Patient Survival (With Ali Dag, Abdullah Asilkalkan, Osman Aydas, Serhat Simsek (Under Review)
- Yucel A., Caglar, M., Dolatsara, H.A., George, B., Dag, A., Predicting Hotel Reviews From Sentiment: A Multinomial Classification Framework, Journal of Modelling in Management, May 2021.
- Caglar M., Gurel S., Impact assessment based sectoral balancing in public R&D project portfolio selection, Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Volume 66, pp 68-81, 2019.
- Caglar M., Gurel S., Public R&D project portfolio selection problem with cancellations, OR Spectrum, Volume 39, Issue 3, pp 659 - 687, 2017.
Education & Affiliations
- Ph.D. in IE (Operations Research and Management Science) at METU, 2016
- M.S. in IE (Operations Research and Management Science) at METU, 2009
- B.S. in IE (Operations & Supply Chain Management/Information Systems) at Istanbul Technical University, 2005
- INFORMS - Institute for Operations Research and Management Science- Analytics Society and Data Mining Section
- DSI-Decision Science Institute
Swimming with his sons regularly
Likes playing tennis
Likes walking and running regularly