Prof. Mathias Kronlund's primary research areas are empirical corporate finance and financial institutions, and his recent research focuses on mutual funds, credit markets, corporate investment, and payout policy.
His articles have been published in leading academic journals in the field, such as the Journal of Financial Economics, Review of Financial Studies, and Management Science. Prof. Kronlund's research has also been featured in major media outlets, such as the Wall Street Journal, and cited by policymakers in both the U.S. and Europe.
Before his doctoral studies in finance at the University of Chicago, he studied industrial engineering at Aalto University in Finland.
Prof. Kronlund has been recognized multiple times for teaching excellence. He currently teaches Financial Management at the Freeman school.
- FINE 3010 Financial Management
Prof. Kronlund has presented his research at many of the premier conferences in the finance field, and at more than 30 universities around the world.
Prof. Kronlund has been recognized for teaching excellence in the classroom in each of the last five years in a row.
He has a keen interest in advising doctoral students, and still maintains close collaborations with many of his former students.
- The Real Effects of Share Repurchases, Journal of Financial Economics, 2016
- Reaching for Yield by Corporate Bond Mutual Funds, Review of Financial Studies, 2018
- Do Bond Issuers Shop for Favorable Credit Ratings? Management Science, 2020
- Out of Sight No More? The Effect of Fee Disclosures on 401(k) Investment Allocations, Journal of Financial Economics, 2021
- Sitting Bucks: Stale Pricing in Fixed Income Funds, Journal of Financial Economics, forthcoming
Education & Affiliations
- Ph.D. Finance, University of Chicago
- MBA, University of Chicago
- M.Sc. Industrial Engineering, Aalto University, Finland
Prof. Kronlund finished his first 70.3 distance triathlon in 2017, and has completed several more races since. The full 140.6 distance may be in the cards one day.
He enjoys singing in choirs, particularly the challenge of performing modern 20th century classical pieces.
Hailing originally from Finland, Prof. Kronlund enjoys skiing whenever he can find snow.